The key to a brighter smile might be easier than you think. All it takes is a trip to your local grocery store. By adding these items to your grocery list, and regularly keeping up with your brushing and flossing routine, you’re smile will be whiter in no time.
1. Basil: Basil helps to reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth. What’s great about basil is that it can be easily paired with many dishes, enhancing and adding a different dimension to the flavor. You can add it to a salad, a sandwich, or even a soup, making it easy to score the benefits from this natural antibiotic.
2. Salmon: Salmon is a great go-to because it is rich in calcium and vitamin D, which helps keep teeth strong. Grill it, bake it, or even eat it raw, the natural goodness from this fish will have your teeth thanking you later.
3. Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds work for your teeth in a combination of ways. Not only do they work to help clean your teeth by scrubbing away plaque, they are also rich in calcium so they keep teeth strong. Add them to your diet for their dual cleaning effort. However, sesame seeds have a bad habit of sticking around in your teeth, so make sure you have a toothpick or floss handy afterwards.
4. Shiitake Mushrooms: The active compound found in shiitake mushrooms, lentinan, stops bacteria from growing in the mouth. This compound helps reduce decay and plaque buildup. Shiitake mushrooms, known for their meaty consistency, are also a better alternative to unhealthier meat options.
5. Quinoa: Quinoa is a super food for a reason! Not only is this grain packed with protein, it also contains calcium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphate which are known to strengthen teeth. So join the Quinoa bandwagon, the vitamins and nutrients will have your teeth looking pearly white.
Keep your teeth in mind while making meals! Use this list as an excuse to try a new recipe or try a new restaurant, on your way to a brighter smile you might find your new favorite dish.