Oral piercings are a popular form of self-expression and, for some, serve as a stylish accessory to their appearance. Even though an oral piercing might look cute, it could seriously be harming your oral health.
The mouth is teeming with bacteria. Oral piercings are prone to infection and inflammation, and the bacteria in the mouth can cause even more serious infections. Here are some of the oral health risks that you face by choosing an oral piercing.
Infection, pain and swelling
A tongue or uvula piercing could cause so much swelling that it blocks your airway. The bacteria in your mouth could easily cause an infection and could become life threatening if not treated. If you suspect an infection, or experience swelling, pain, fever, or chills, visit your dentist or physician immediately.
Damage to gums, teeth and fillings
It is common for people with oral piercings to play with them. Biting or flicking your piercing against your teeth can injure your teeth and gums. You could damage a filling or crack a tooth while playing on or biting your piercing. Try to avoid playing with or biting the jewelry to protect your teeth.
After you get a tongue piercing you may experience numbness in your tongue. Usually the numbness is temporary but can sometimes be permanent. The injured nerve in your tongue could affect your taste or tongue movement.
There are other factors to take into account such as increased saliva production, choking hazard, and difficulty during dental appointments. Check in with your dentist regularly to make sure that the jewelry in your mouth isn’t causing any serious problems with your oral health.